I need your advice on how to fix a Kenmore dehumidifier. Kenmore recalled a bunch of dehumidifiers it had made between 2003 and 2005 because they caught fire.
They were 35 to 70 pint units, all with the 580 as the start of the serial number. I bought this dehumidifier well after that.
They found affected units sold as late as 2009. If it has the affected serial number, and you can check the list on the CPSC website, then you can get it replaced for free. The unit is nearly new, which makes its malfunctioning all the more annoying. If it is filling the bucket and overflowing it, check the float for the drain bucket.
If it won’t run, verify that the bucket is all the way against the sensor that says yes, there is a bucket here.
I wonder if it is a different sensor.
And it is not collecting much water.
You can test that by wrapping the humidistat in a baby wipe so that it thinks it is really humid. If the unit finally turns on, you know you either need to turn the humidistat level to way below ambient humidity or replace the sensor. The room is somewhere around Louisiana bog in the summer. If it is icing up, you won’t see much water in the bucket until it thaws out or runs out of refrigerant.
What am I supposed to do, take a blow dryer to what is essentially a mini-AC? Turn it off and let it thaw out. Or scrape off the ice, then clean the condenser and coils so it runs more efficiently. Assuming it will run.
You could change out the air filters too, since that will limit the air flow and risk cold air circulating around a cold coil until it freezes. And if there’s no air flow into the unit, it is not going to be able to trap more humidity in the air. If the unit was not blowing air at all, I’d check the fuses to see if those are blown.
That’s cheaper to replace than a whole fan motor.
If the fuse was blown, it could be because the motor overheated.
In that case, replacing the fuse works until it overheats again, though you could try a higher temperature fuse. Until it overheats and melts down or blows its fuse again. If it is consistently overheating, the motor probably needs to be replaced anyway.
At least then you tried the cheaper fix first.
But then it is my turn to blow a fuse at the repair costs.